Thursday, February 05, 2009

What a tangled web we weave.


No, that's not what's pictured at the right...we'll get to that in a minute. So, where did all this kookiness come from? Am I supposed to twitter instant thoughts to my brother, call for a playdate for one of the kids on a land line, poke a friend at facebook, text my sister, blog an experience of the day, email my mom, call my brother on my mobile phone, write a note to one of the kids' teachers, yell upstairs to my husband and sit down for coffee with a friend? Or should I just walk outside and scream at the top of my lungs?

I mean, seriously. Mr. President can keep his BlackBerry, I support that decision. But does adding that to his mix make his insides feel as frantic and crazed as mine? I really don't think I need to talk to this many people this much of the time. I value my friends...a lot. But I'm realizing that I really value the sound of their voices. And looking them in the eye for an actual, honest to goodness c-o-n-v-e-r-s-a-t-i-o-n. One that lasts longer than 140 characters. (Thanks, MM!)

I will get to have some really great conversations with G tomorrow. When she's home. From school. With strep (see above right).

Oh, wait, did I mention in about a month and a half I'll finally have an iPhone?

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh...the iPhone might take you down completely...
    I agree, in spirit, with all you say, but I will admit (in 140 characters or less?) that I DO enjoy being able to "check in" on people, know what's going on and comment, etc., electronically. It's passive, but I find some value in it. Especially as a "working out of the home" mom, it's hard to find 20 uninterrupted minutes to TALK to someone - at the same time THEY have 20 uninterrupted minutes! That being said, I think I value those face to face discussions even more, because of this.

    ReplyDelete